On 27th December 1950, six of us went on the first school cycling tour. The names of the boys who went were John Purvis, Robert Dawson, Edward Fulcher, Leslie Alderton, Edward Lawson and the leader was Mr Brown. After meeting at Mr Brown’s home at half past nine, we set out over snow covered roads which changed to rutted iced roads near Durham. When we got to Durham, the roads were better because there was a lot of traffic running over the snow and beating the snow down to make a smooth surface.
We stopped at Witton Gilbert for a cup of tea and then pushed on to Lanchester where we got our dinner. From there, we went to Black Hill and at the top of Black Hill we had a spill which caused us to walk to the bottom. Ten more miles and we would be at Edmondbyers. That day we did about 35 miles. When we got to the hostel we had to wait of Mrs Sanderson to open it up and at five o’clock we went in.
On our second day the roads were ice bound and were impassable as far as Stanhope so we went on a 4.5 mile walk to Blanchland. On our way we saw a lame rabbit down a burrow.
On the 3rd day we got up and made our breakfast then got washed. Mrs Sanderson
told us how to avoid half of Black Hill bank. When we got to the top of Black Hill bank
we bought an ice cream. When we set off the roads were not so bad. When we got home
we told our parents that we had a very nice time. (74 miles in total).
(Written by E Lawson)