During a recent trip to the Durham County Records Office, looking for plans of the 1950’s council housing built in Wheatley Hill, I came across some interesting information concerning our village:
- 1910’s Several planning applications the from Mr Welford who was building lots of houses/shops in the Granville Terrace/Ashmore Terrace areas
- 1922 An application for a fish and chip shop in Quarry Street by Mr N Cadman
- 1924 An application for 75 houses for the Weardale Steel, Coal & Coke Company in —I believe these to be the ‘town’ streets
- 1947 plans for 94 houses in Wingate Lane—presume these to be the ‘Ponderosa’? Alt-hough not built until much later
- 1948—Application by De-Lancey Lands Ltd to change the use of their premises in Church Street from a woodwork and French polishing establishment to a second hand furniture shop
- 1950—plans for two police houses at the top of Cemetery Road
No sign of the plans I was actually looking for though!!